Facebook Twitter Email

The municipality of Alexandria, the Teleorman county seat, is located where the Boian Plain meets the Gavanu-Burdea Plain, 47 m elevation, in the valley of the Vedea river, 88 km south-west of Bucharest.

Photo credit: (c) Alex TUDOR / AGERPRES ARCHIVE

Archaeological research have revealed remains dating from the Paleolithic, the Neolithic (Boian and Gumelnita cultures), the Metal Age and the Middle Ages.

Near the current territory of the city, in a place called “La Vii”, traces of a Geto-Dacian settlement of the 5th-4th centuries BC have been discovered, i.e. handmade ceramic vessels, bowls, cups with two handles, bronze fibulas etc. Also found were the vestiges of a settlement dating from the 4th century AC, with rectangular huts, and ceramic pots made of grey or reddish clay.

An old Romanian settlement dating from the 8th-11th centuries was discovered on the left bank of the Veda river. There are also archeological evidence at the beginning of feudalism about the economic development and social organization of local settlements (pits and pots for storing grain, agricultural tools, pottery).

The locality of Alexandra was founded on this territory in 1834 by Prince Alexandru Ghica (1834-1842).

The Russian occupation in Wallachia and Moldavia was put an end in March 1834, and the Ottoman Gate appointed, with Russia’s consent, new princes in the two principalities. Thus, Alexandru Ghica was appointed prince of Wallachia; he conducted a remarkable activity as regards the judiciary, urban development, communication and transport development, especially in the former rayas (territorial unit) of Turnu Magurele, Giurgiu and Braila.

Founded in 1834, according to the urban plans designed by Austrian engineer Otto von Moritz (the designer of the plans for Giurgiu, Braila and Turnu Severin), the city was named after Wallachia’s then-ruler Alexandru Dimitrie Ghica (1834-1842) whose bones are found today in a monumental sarcophagus inside the “St. Alexander” Episcopal Cathedral in Alexandria, according to the website of the city hall.

After being founded, Alexandria has rapidly become one of the most important trade-agrarian centers in the area.

In 1837 the city was largely destroyed by a violent fire.

The inhabitants of Alexandria took part in all the important events in the modern history of Romania: the 1848 Revolution, the Union of the Romanian Principalities (1859), the Romanian War of Independence (1877-1878), the Peasant Uprising of 1907, the First and the Second World Wars.

In the second half of the 19thh century and early 20th century, famous annual fairs were being held in Alexandria. Trade, dominated by grain and cattle, was the most important branch of the town’s economic life until 1948.

In the second half of the 20th century, Alexandria’s light and food industry has developed, and new enterprises were founded, such as the bearing plant, milling and bakery factory, fruit and vegetables enterprise etc.

After the county of Teleorman was refounded in 1968, Alexandria became its county seat. On July 27, 1979, the city of Alexandria is declared a municipality. The city suffered great damage due to the quake on March 4, 1977.

According to the 2011 census of people and housing, its resident population was standing at 45,434.

As of Sept. 1996, the headquarters of the Alexandria and Teleorman Bishopric have been established in Alexandria.

Among the main attractions of the city there are: the “Marin Preda” County Library; the History Museum of Alexandria (inaugurated on May 1, 1952), including collections of archaeology, numismatics, ethnography, art, history; the Teleorman Folk School of Arts, founded in 1978; the Romanian-French Cultural Centre, opened on April 14, 2000.

Photo credit: (c) Alex TUDOR / AGERPRES ARCHIVE

The list of the main monuments includes: the Orthodox Church dedicated to Saint Alexander, built between 1869 and 1898, in Byzantine-Romanesque style, with interior mural paintings by Stefan Luchian and Constantin Artachino in 1898; the churches “Saint Apostles Peter and Paul” (1842-1846, restored between 1902 and 1904), “Saint Nicholas” (1848-1850), “Saint Emperors Constantine and Helen” (1852),”The Dormition of the Mother of God” (1858-1860), “The Healing Fountain” (1859-1861); monuments built in memory of the peasants killed during the 1907 Uprising and the heroes who died during the First World War; the busts of Prince Alexandru Ghica and Prince Alexandru Ioan Cuza.AGERPRES

Facebook Twitter Email

Comments are closed.

Articole - Romania pozitiva